Skip to main content

Lakshmi raave maa intiki

Varalakshmi vratham is one of the important festivals down South of India. Infact it is first one in list of festivals that goes on till the year end. Usually a pot rice is kept with coconut and mango leaves and face of goddess Lakshmi is drawn on it. Also silver cast of goddess  (usually pass down generations)  is tied to the pot.

My earliest memories of the pooja is my mom drawing face on bronze pot which is smeared with rice paste to provide canvas. My mom was very good at it. 
So I decided to start the blog with my attempt of goddess Varalakshmi 


I  embossed the corners with a stamp and Stampendous aged gold embossing powder. I stenciled the damask stencil using Itsybitsy texture paste. It is like sand paste and adds nice texture . I also added Finnabair black white sand to the edges.


Once the corners were done I painted the page went with paints from Golden and PaperArtsy. The edges were painted dark with Burnt Umber and Burnt Sienna while keeping the center light.  Once background was painted I stenciled multiple layers with various stencils from CrafTangles and CraftersWorkshop.


The entire piece was then coated with dirty glaze (as Gwen Lafleur calls it). It is three parts matte medium with one part of micaceous iron oxide, van dyke brown and iridescent gold. I set it to dry and started working on my focal point.

The innermost mandala was created  on parchment paperby applying 3D Matte gel (mixed with bronze paint) through CrafTangles stencil.The other mandala was stenciled on the background with iridescent gold.I printed Varalakshmi on tissue paper, colored and decorated it with sequins and liquid pearls.
The golden halo was created using embossed skin. I created it by applying VersaMark on non stick craft sheet. Since my stencil was intricate I applied layers of clear embossing powder to form a base and then stenciled the image and embossed it. The skin was peeled,cut and applied using matte medium. It looks like mica flakes and is pretty gorgeous.

The beads and glass glitter were added around the mandala. I added depth by using Derwent Inktense pencils around goddess and mandalas.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Keep going - Week 5 2021

  Hectic week  so a quick card made with texture paste and heat embossing. The focal image was   stamped with wooden blocks with Delicata Ink . Since ink remains wet I was able to pour embossing powder and heat emboss it.

Peek into the jungle beyond - Week 10

  This week SimonsaysStamp Monday challenge was to "Add some green", I combined that with Gwen Lafleur  "Interactive ATC" workshop to create this gorgeous project. I wanted to recreate an old Indian fort window with lovely outer frame and lattice work shutters  for a long time but was blocked on what to add underneath the shutters. Finally I was able to draw the beautiful jungle using different shades of green Distress Oxide and posca pens. The parrots were printed and collaged (Image Credit - freepik) The doodle stencils from Craftangles and Mudra were used to create the topmost layer and were colored with posca pens. The red arch of the window was stamped with Mudra stamp and colored along with  yellow background using DistressOxide . The lattice work was done using Gel paste and Craftangles stencil. Distress glazes in Fossilized Amber and Tattered Rose were added when the paste was wet. When the paste was dry it was heat embossed and the background ...

Patchwork Page - Week 8 2021

  Many a times I dont create for weeks due to various reasons, so this year I resolved to do art every week.  SimonsaysStamp  Monday Challenge became perfect way for me to keep creating with new topic every week. Meanwhile I have huge backlog of Gwen Lafleur classes which I needed to watch and create. I have already started enrolling for her 2021 classes ( do check her blog for details, first one is in March end). So I decided to combine challenge and online class project and result is this week project from Patchwork pages class. Background was collaged with scrapbook papers, collage papers, images and washi tape. Crackle paste and  glass beads paste was applied through stencils. I added brown and  gold to blend papers in certain places and followed rest of steps from class. The patch work was done using Distress paints and then stenciled and stamped. I added mark making with posca pens and golden paints. The medallion was metal piece that w...